Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food + No Salt = YUCK!

When I was diagnosed on October 1, 2010 with Meniere's Disease I was also given a new way of eating. Salt is now my biggest enemy, It is a constant battle to beat back the sodium dragon! I try not to eat out as often because you never know what goes on behind the kitchen doors in a restaurant. Even when you ask for no added salt, I can't help but wonder if the chef doesn't just add a pinch of the white stuff anyway.

I find myself cooking more now than ever before. That way I have total control over the sodium that is present in my food. I try to stick with one ingredient foods, no salt added foods and low sodium foods. It is all about reading those nutritional labels! Processed foods are definitely off the shelf, which is a good move for anyone because the nutritional value is minimal at best. I experiment more with food than I have in my whole life. Trying to find the balance between a healthy diet and one that satisfies my need for flavorful food. My new best friends are lemons, limes, garlic and ginger. Following close behind is the world of herbs and spices (salt added ones excluded).So as I am able to tweek my recipes and come up with a satisfying substitute I will share my new low/no sodium dishes with you.

Here is my first success.

 Guaca-salsa-mole


1 cup diced avocado
2/3 cup seeded and diced roma tomatoes
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 lime juiced


Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for at least one hour. The size of the dice depends on how chunky you like your dips. I keep mine on the smaller side. I also take half the avocado and mash it up before adding the other ingredients. You can increase or decrease ingredients depending on your personal preferences. You can chop a jalapeƱo up and toss that in too if you want a kick. I serve this with some tortilla chips(low sodium). The brand I use is called "Food Should Taste Good". The lime one is amazing!


Bon appetite!

No comments: