Friday, May 13, 2011

My Ah-ha Moment

The diagnosis of Meniere's has been a mixed blessing. There have been both good and bad changes in my life. The bad is pretty obvious for anyone dealing with an inner ear disorder.. The constant fluctuations in my symptoms make it difficult to make any short or long term plans. Fortunately for me my friends are very accommodating and will go out of their way to always make me feel welcome. As for the good side, having Meniere's has been the catalyst that has forced me into creating healthy boundaries. Which is something I have always had difficulties doing.

 I have always put everyone else's needs before my own. I was brought up in a family that did not tolerate selfishness. Living with Meniere's has made me realize that not only do I need to be a little selfish about my needs, it is critical that I put my well being at the top of my "to do" list if I am to be of any service to others.
By setting boundaries I have discovered a new sort of freedom that I have never before experienced. I am more honest about my intentions. I focus my energy on the people that enrich my life and take a step back from those who drain it. Wish I would have learned this lesson much sooner in my life.

When we know better, we do better ~ Maya Angelou

2 comments:

kelownagamermom said...

I have had the wretched disease for nearly 4 yrs, and today am starting my 5th week of a cluster of severe attacks. This is a first.
I can totally relate to learning how to be selfish, it's very hard to allow yourself to be so when you are used to looking after others before yourself.
I wish you the best of luck.

Just Simply Dizzy said...

My heart goes out to you KGM hope they end soon. I went through a 5 week stretch like that last October.