Friday, May 20, 2011

I'll Take "Baby Steps" For Five Hundred Dollars Alex

A willingness to show  perseverance and diligence in order to accomplish a task. "What is patience? Alex".

Yes the biggest lesson I have learned from having an inner ear disorder is to be patient. A word that was never been a welcome part of my vocabulary. I have always been the type of person who likes a world filled with instant gratification. After seven months of living with this disorder I can honestly say that instant gratification is no longer a part of my life. Meniere's has been like an annoying little brother constantly making me slow down and be patient. I used to get frustrated when I could not master something after a couple of tries but now I am quite content with taking baby steps to reach my goals.

A few months ago my goal was to be more active. My ability to stay upright without being dizzy was not good. Initially I started off with a twenty minute a day walk with my dog. Some days were easier than others and a few days I could not go at all because my balance was so unsteady. I persevered though and after a couple of weeks I was able to add a few trips to the gym for a cardio workout. Gradually every couple of weeks I increased the intensity of each workout and added in a couple of Zumba classes. Throw in a three mile walk every couple of weeks with my husband and that's where I am today. I still have to make sure I rest for a couple of hours after doing any kind of strenuous physical activity. With that said I am feeling much stronger these days. As an added bonus my symptoms have become more manageable.  They are never gone but they have reached the point where I have stretches when I don't even notice them.

Seven months ago this amount of physical activity would have been out of the question for me. I wasn't able to walk from the  living-room to the kitchen without the aide of walls and door jams. Had I not developed some patience during this time I  know I would not be where I am now. Learning to be patient and to take baby steps has been a valuable lesson. One that will serve me well on this journey to wellness.


Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional, and mental states.  ~Carol Welch

No comments: