Wednesday, April 13, 2011

This Is What Works For Me

It has been just over 6 months since I was diagnosed with Meniere's. What a roller coaster ride it has been!


I started out with such a sense of hopelessness and despair. Feeling like my life was changed forever - for the worst. Having a vertigo attack every week for five weeks will do that to a person. Then I hooked up with an amazing support group. This group of individuals have given me more than I could ever imagine. Having people who you can relate to and vice versa is so important. My hopelessness and despair quickly changed to anger and determination. I will not let this be a life sentence. 


About two months ago I started to push myself more. My first goal was to get out for a minimum 20 minute walk each day. Even if I was feeling crummy. There have been a few days where the Meniere symtptoms were too bad, but once they had settled down I would pick up where I left off and get back on track. My second goal was to eat a healthier diet. I am to the point now where I feel so much better if I eat healthy. The few times I have slipped and eaten something that would not qualify as "good for me" those Meniere symptoms would start to rear their ugly head.. I am finding it easier and easier to stay on track, the longer I follow these two simple goals, because my level of wellbeing continues to increase with each passing week.


My newest goal in addition to the 20 minute walk and healthy eating is to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Some days I can only work out for 15-20 minutes, while on good days 45 minutes. Today was a breakthrough though! I was able to walk up to a 7% incline and back down for 35 minutes and then do an interval walk/jog for 15 minutes and finish up with a 10 minute brisk level walk....at a speed of 2.8-3.0 mph for 2.9 miles. Damn it felt good!


I have decided to not have any invasive procedures done at this point. There is just not enough evidence to prove to me that they are helpful. In some cases I have read that it actually made things worse. I will continue to take a diuretic and follow a low sodium diet because I do believe this protocol has helped.


This journey is not a straight path and it is important to know which direction to take when you come to that fork in the road. I now focus more on what I can do as opposed to what I can not do. Bottom line is I feel so much better these days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great entry! I understand all of this completely! It can be such a nightmare and we can stop ourselves from doing things we want to do because we are scared - or not. I'm glad you are embracing the positive.

Just Simply Dizzy said...

Thanks Keely. It is all to easy to become a hermit and never want to leave your house with this disease. The way I look at it is "I can laugh or I can cry" it is my choice.