Thursday, April 21, 2011

Squiggly Eyes, Hyperacusis & What Smells

Identifying and avoiding triggers has become my full time job. I am in constant combat mode every time I leave the house. Being the control freak that I can be at times - I always want to know what to expect in any situation. Sometimes this is not possible.

Like going to a movie and not knowing who is going to be sitting next to me. I don't know why but it always seems to be the adult with the inability to put the smartphone away because their lives are so important they need to text during the middle of the movie or the kid that wears those stupid light up blinky shoes. Certain visual stimuli can trigger a vertigo attack which can put me into panic mode causing me to want to curl up into the fetal position just to avoid the light. Now I know why they put those blinders on horses. I wonder if they make those for people.

I have lost count of how many times I have had to switch tables after being seated in a restaurant. Too many kitchen sounds or sitting to close to the bar with all the klinking of glass sounds - OMG! Wonder what would happen if I just stuck my fingers in my ears and went - la la la la la la. On second thought maybe not - my husband would get up and walk out and pretend he didn't know me.

Is it just me or do people where more colognes and perfumes these days.I walked into our local coffee shop the other day and felt like I was being hit across the head with a two by four. Someone had so much perfume on that you could not even smell the coffee. Which by the way is one of the best smells in the world! So grateful coffee is not a trigger - thank you sweet baby Jesus!

Living with a dysfunctional vestibular system is a challenge.Over time I am learning different coping mechanisms and  things are getting easier. What a journey!

2 comments:

Dizzydooty said...

Have you considered carrying earplugs around with you? It was suggested to me a while back,and I find if I use one in my worst ear, it cuts down on the little "extra" sounds that threaten to make me spin.

Just Simply Dizzy said...

Dizzydooty.......I bought a huge pkg of them recently. I have them scattered all over the place so I don't have to look to far to find a pair. I use Hear-os they block out most noise but I can still carry on a conversation. Yes they are a Godsend!